Help for OLD-IRISH-L Archives

OLD-IRISH-L Archives

Subject: Re: possession and exorcism in early Ireland
From: Michele Cheung <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 1 Aug 2006 11:28:37 -0400

This is way late for your period, I think written down in the 12th
century, but you need it for comic relief considering your subject
matter: The Vision of MacConglinne (Ancient Irish Tales, eds. Cross &
Slover). It contains a demon of gluttony who possesses Cathal mac
Finguine. The whole mechanism of the possession is described in
scientific or at least metaphysical detail to a delightful degree, and
the possessing demon (it hangs out in his throat a lot) has a speaking part.

Michele