Help for AFRIK-IT Archives

AFRIK-IT Archives

AFRIK-IT@LISTSERV.HEANET.IE

AFRIK-IT Home

AFRIK-IT  July 2006

AFRIK-IT July 2006

Re: Online database directories - seeking info & experiences

Guido Sohne <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 7 Jul 2006 08:03:56 +0000

The central problem/issue is that the information on the person
becomes stale over time and searching the Internet does not give
enough precision to automatically determine a person's new contact
details/information.

I think the solution is for metadata to be indexed and retrieved from
a search engine. Something such as an automatically updated FOAF
(Friend of a friend) resource description should be generated and
updated automatically from a person's email habits.

Unfortunately this solution would require coordination between the
email program, the search engine and the (current) location - i.e.
home page - of the person. A tall order for now. Especially if one has
to support commonly used mail clients and search engines so that it's
not just an academic toy.

Short answer is the Internet is not well enough 'integrated' to
support this on a widespread, general usage scenario yet. The Semantic
web has been trying to get there ever since, well, the beginning of
the Web.

-- G.