Help for OLD-IRISH-L Archives

OLD-IRISH-L Archives

Subject: Fingal Rónáin 90-99
From: Charles Dooley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 29 Apr 2006 20:02:11 -0400

90]  Cia leth so, a dorman? or sé. Ní maith duit imthecht
91]  t'oenur, acht mani[d] dáil fir no théig.

"Where to, strumpet?" he said. "You don't go walking out
alone unless it is to tryst with a man that you go."

91b & 92]  Eirgg dot tig, ar sé, ocus beir miscaid.

"Go to your house, he said, and be cursed."

93] Luid Congal lee coa teg. Co n-accatar cuccu do-ridisi.

Congal went with her to her house. They saw her coming back toward them.

94]   Amein, ar Congal, is imdergad ríg Lagen iss áil duit, a
95a]   drochben!

"So" said Congal, "the shaming of the king of the Leinster men is what
you desire, oh evil woman."

95b]   Dianat accur-sa do-ridisi, or sé, bérat do chend
97]   co rraib for cuailli ar bélaib Rónáin.

"If I see you again," he said, "I'll take your head
so that it is on a pole in front of Rónán."

97b]  Drochben dia imdergad i claidib ocus muinib a
98]   h-oínur i n-dáil gilla.

"Evil woman, shaming him, in ditches and bushes
alone in a tryst with a youth."

99]  Ro gab echlaisc di conda fargaib ina tig.

He took a horsewhip to her so that he left her in her house.