Help for OLD-IRISH-L Archives

OLD-IRISH-L Archives

Subject: Re: B Fingal Rónáin 90-91
From: Charles Dooley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 11 Apr 2006 17:21:42 -0400

90] Cia leth so, a dorman? or sé. Ní maith duit imthecht
91] t'oenur, acht mani[d] dáil fir no théig.

"Where to, then, whore?" he said.  "There is no advantage to you walking
alone, except if you tryst with a man or go away."

The DIL defines 'dorman' as "harlot, concubine", which could lend a
suitably Mickey Spillaneish quality to this piece of dialog.

'cid/cia' with 'leth' means "whither"

'is maith duit' is an idiom meaning "it is good for you".

'acht manid'- "except if not", the double negative sounds strange in
English, but the sense seems to e to be "save only"/"except if".

The 'd' at the end of 'manid' signals that it takes an indicative verb
and so a present or past condition is implied in the statement.  'dáil'
we met with above, "trysts with".

'fir', I'm not sure of, perhaps a dative?

'·téig' is the 2nd person singular conjunct present indicative of 'téit'
- "go"

Congal may well be the wrong man for this job, I think that Mael
Fothartaig is proving to be a better judge of dogs and horses than of
people.

Charles