Help for CALIGUS Archives

CALIGUS Archives

Subject: Sea lice from wild salmon
From: "Salonius, Peter" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 4 Apr 2006 10:35:32 -0400

With regard to "the probability of resistance being lower in the west due to the number
of [non resistant]sea lice coming into the area from returning wild salmonids", we can be sure that sea lice transfer is a two way street - from wild salmon to the farms (original source) - and later considerable transfer from farmed salmon to wild seaward migrating juvenile salmon, a transfer that in some areas in Norway occasionally infected over 90% of smolt as they passed aquaculture sites.

So the avenue for the transfer of SLICE resistance(when and if resistance ocurrs) to the parasite population on wild salmon is ready and waiting.

Peter Salonius