Help for IRTRAD-L Archives

IRTRAD-L Archives

Subject: Re: Help & complete my Short Survey for research paper!
From: James Owens <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 23 Mar 2006 19:31:13 -0500

Frank,

I recall that Matt Kane's was on 13th Street in the block south of
Massachusetts Avenue. In the middle 60's there was also a place on Colorado
Avenue, owned by a fellow named John Gaffney, called the Emerald Isle. I
never saw any live music there but there was a juke box with Irish American
sentimental tunes on it and some trad music. I used to take my kids there on
Sundays to show them something other than Elvis. It was always crowded on
Sundays with emigrants and first generation Irish.

Billy would have to answer the question about his arrival in DC but Peggy
and Lou were very active in getting ceili and set dancing going in the DC
area. Some years ago, it was after Peggy died,  Billy engineered a tribute
to Lou at J. Patrick's in Baltimore.

All the Best,

Jim Owens