Help for IRTRAD-L Archives

IRTRAD-L Archives

Subject: Re: prunes and chunes and ferris wheels...
From: Jack Gilder <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 2 Mar 2006 11:37:16 -0800

Paul Mulvaney wrote:

> The last time Cullen's Hounds were in Beantown, I was asked up on stage
> with'em.

I don't know Zac, but from what I saw at his website the comarison with
Culann's Hounds is far from a fair.  Zac at least has some real musical
training as well as a senior All-Ireland title on the pipes.  Their (Oisre)
music is obviously coming from people who are capable ITM musicians.  Culann's
Hounds, on the other hand, have had no real ITM training and are basically
reinventing the music to suit their image. Consider their latest write-up for a
local venue.

"With their new, more radical incarnation as an Irish pop quartet, Culannís
Hounds have exploded into venues in New York, Boston, Portland, and their
hometown, San Francisco. Taking their Punk Irish Hoedown to the biggest
acoustic music venue in San Francisco"

I'm not saying there's anything wrong with what Culann's Hounds are doing, but
it makes no sense to compare them to a group that's obviously dedicated to
traditional music.  Because the members of Oisre are playing traditional music
I think they deserve our support in this forum.

Best of luck to you, Zac, I hope your posting here results in what you're
looking for.

Jack Gilder