Help for IRTRAD-L Archives

IRTRAD-L Archives

Subject: Re: Help & complete my Short Survey for research paper!
From: Frank Claudy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 23 Mar 2006 16:54:34 -0600

Jim:  I think Peggy's husband Louis Thompson had a lot to do with getting
Billy and Brendan down to D.C.  No question that they were a huge reason for
the resurgence in interest in traditional music.  Before their arrival,
there was music at Matt Kane's Little Bit O' Ireland on Vermont Avenue and
later at the Four Provinces.  One of the ballad groups that came through had
a very good whistle player who showed a number of us some of his tricks.
The O'Flaherty brothers were regulars at the early Dubliner.  One of them
went on to found the Poor Clares and to open a bar in New Orleans.
   Peggy handled her medical condition -- a severe form of scleroderma
called CREST -- with real grace and good humor.  After she was unable to
play fliddle, she continued to teach step dancing.  I believe Jean Denney
got her start from Peggy.
Frank