We are offering a position for a *research scientist specialized in
The person will be based at the Station Biologique, Roscoff, France.
The position is linked to a two-year european project called
*Plankton*Net*, set up as a co-operation between the
Alfred-Wegener-Institute for Polar and Marine Research (AWI), Roscoff
and four other institutes from France, Portugal and UK. The candidate
will be based mainly in Roscoff but some travel to international
partners will be required.
The main objective is the initialisation and improvement of a global
online phytoplankton database based on the existing database format
is itself based of Micro*Scope
developed at the MBL Woods Hole. This is a challenging multidisciplinary
project with strong taxonomy/ecology but also important state of the art
The following tasks should be accomplished within the 2 year project:
- Setting up the Roscoff node of Plankton*Net from software developed at
the AWI and MBL
- Inventory of phytoplankton species from Roscoff
- Populating the Roscoff node of the Plankton*Net database with images
(light and electronic microscope) from all phytoplankton species found
off Roscoff (diatoms, dinoflagellates, flagellates) as well as from the
Roscoff Culture Collection (see http://www.sb-roscoff.fr/Phyto/RCC/ ).
Images from other research groups may also be integrated in the Roscoff
- Adding taxonomic information on these species (from scientific
journals and textbooks)
- Building taxonomic keys
- Development of a web-based easy-to-use graphical user interface
The person selected will also be able to carry out focused taxonomic
research on picoplankton species from the Roscoff Culture Collection.
- Very good knowledge of modern Phytoplankton Taxonomy (both
traditionnal and molecular approaches)
- Good practice of optical and electron microscopy
- Good knowledge of imaging technologies and image processing techniques
- Working knowledge of web site design and maintenance
- Structuring and handling of relational databases
Operating language will be English, but it will help to have some
rudiments of French.
Closing date : April 1, 2006
Interested persons should send in a letter of application with a short
CV and the name of three referees via email to Daniel Vaulot
([log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]>).
For further information, please contact Daniel Vaulot
at the Station Biologique de Roscoff.
More information at :
Directeur de Recherche CNRS
Groupe Plancton Océanique
Station Biologique, CNRS-INSU-UPMC, UMR 7144
BP 74 Place G. Tessier
29682 Roscoff Cx FRANCE
email: [log in to unmask] Skype : danielguip
Ph: +33 2 98 29 23 34 Fax: +33 2 98 29 23 24 Mobile : +33 6 75 54 20 41
*Plankton group* : http://www.sb-roscoff.fr/Phyto/
*Roscoff Culture Collection* : http://www.sb-roscoff.fr/Phyto/RCC/
*Marine Microbes Forum* : http://www.sb-roscoff.fr/marine_microbes/