Subject: Re: cuchulain in fiction and on the screen
From: Cionaodh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 20 Feb 2006 12:18:45 -0500

>Hello.  I was wondering if anyone had a list or could
>post to the listserv novels featuring Cuchulain.

I read one many years ago by Kenneth C. Flint, "A Storm Upon Ulster".
A very fancified retelling of the Cú Chulainn stories.  Flint had
several other titles dealing with Irish mythology/history around the
same time (early- to mid-1980s) .

There was another novel around the same time called "The Táin"; I
misremember the author's name.  I recall that the mounted
horserider's image on the paperback version's cover looked to me more
like an American Indian than an Irish chieftain.

A good source for out-of-print books like this is ABEbooks
(http://www.abebooks.com).

>Also,
>when I was studying abroad in the fall of 2001 I saw
>on Irish tv a cartoon about Cuchulain's life.  Does
>anyone have any details about this cartoon?

It's probably not the same thing, but I have a two-tape animated
video set called "Irish Legends for Children".  It contains several
animated stories, including "The Brown Bull of Cooley", "Children of
Lir", and "Deirdre of the Sorrows", to name a few.  I bought it for
my son, who unfortunately wasn't fond of it.  If anyone's interested
in buying it off me quite cheaply, write to me off-list.  It's just
collecting dust on my shelf.

Le meas,
Cionaodh