Help for OLD-IRISH-L Archives

OLD-IRISH-L Archives

Subject: B Fingal Rónáin 14-15a - proposed translation
From: David Stifter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 9 Dec 2005 09:20:21 +0100

Liz wrote:

> >RO-foí = 3rd sg. preterite/perfect of foaid = spends
> >the night,
>
>  Messe: DIL 180.23 lists 'ro foí' among the "preterite and perfect 3rd
>
> singular" forms of 'fóaid'.  In the photo of the Book of
> Leinster 'corofoí' looks like a single word. I don't know why the CELT
> transcribers made it look like two words.

This is general editorial practice. In the MSS, accentual units are
usually written together, that means, all words that belong to one
stress are written as a single word. This also applies to
combinations of article + noun, or preposition + noun etc. To
facilitate using the texts for readers these accentual units are
regularly split up into separate words in editions.

David