Garamond and his master

gabriel lovato <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 14 Nov 2005 17:55:11 -0200

Hello everyone,

I have been reading a few books on the history of type and
type-design, and as some "discrepancies" between them arise, I thought
I could seek some help from the list.

Some older books (such as Douglas McMurtie's "The Book") mention Tory
as having been Garamond's master; another book (can't remember which
one right now) mentions that this attribution comes from Tory's grave
inscription.

My knowledge was that Garamond's master had been Augereau, a belief
backed by my most recent, although unfortunately short, source: the
text by John Lane found in Garamond Premier Pro specimen booklet. Also
Bringhurst shortly mentions Augereau as Garamond's master.

As I mostly believe the newer sources, I was curious if anyone has
information on why Tory was believed to be Garamond's master, aside
from the grave thing, and even what kind of influence Tory's work, if
not himself, may have had on Garamond's.

Also, any directions to sources of information on Garamond (preferably
recent, and ideally scholarly reliable) and french type design of the
16th century would be greatly appreciated. (Lane's text in the
Garamond P Pro specimen mentions upcoming articles by Mosley and
Vervliet, does anyone know if this is out yet?)

Thank you all in advance,

Gabriel