Re: Question about French typography

Michael Brady <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 11 Nov 2005 15:07:49 -0500

On Nov 11, 2005, at 2:53 PM, Roy Preston wrote:

> I think this is daft :-) It's as bad as adding spaces after and
> before quote marks, full points, or commas. All my guillemots are
> fitted, and sometimes kerned to specific glyphs, so if the user
> adds spaces or whatever it sends all my hard work out the window!

Okay, daft it is! My 1835-ish copy of one of the Scott's Waverly
novels had thin spaces (less that full word spaces) before some
punctuation marks, such as semi-colons, colons, perhaps periods, and,
IIRC, inside opening and closing quotation marks. It definitely had
extra space (more than word spaces) *after* sentence periods (full
stops).

These are matters of convention, more than anything else. I've been
noticing lately (but I can't remember where) the use of what looks
like two single quotation marks for double quotation marks. That is,
double quotes look slightly letterspaced, and remind me of hot metal
printing.

Michael Brady
www.michaelbradydesign.com