Subject: Re: Assistance in font identification
From: Robin Kinross <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 9 Aug 2005 12:51:30 +0100

  Gregg A. Silvis:

> so then I would like to know what typface they might resemble!

It's a category mistake to think that these letters resemble any
typeface. You are looking at the coins with the wrong end of the
historical-material telescope.

Also, these letters on the coin are three-dimensional. Typeface forms
are two-dimensional.

Better to think of the category "eighteenth-century lettering in
England, Scotland, Wales, Ireland" and then find examples of
-- types
-- painted letters on shop-signs
-- incised letters on gravestones
-- letters on cast metal items, such as coins
-- etc
and see the letterforms on the coins in those historical terms: taking
into account the process of cutting punches from which to make moulds
from which to cast metal coins

I'm absolutely no expert in this, but one detail on the coin is
interesting: the splayed (Tuscan?) feet to the serifs (R, A, P, L).
Doesn't resemble any contemporary (1790s) type. Must come from the
nature of the process?

The way the numbers are cut -- angular forms -- is not like any
typeface, then or since, and must also come from the nature of the
process?

Robin Kinross