Help for ALGAE-L Archives

ALGAE-L Archives

Subject: determination of silicate in fresh water
From: "Senerpont Domis, Lisette" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 23 Aug 2005 15:16:44 +0200

Dear All,

We are trying to determine dissoloved silicate in fresh water samples
following an adaptation of the coloric method by Armstrong (1951), in
which silicomolybdic acid is formed and then reduced to molybdenum blue.
We use frozen samples, which are allowed to thaw completely in a water
bath at room temperature. The silicate concentration found in the
samples are highly unstable. Does anyone have similar
experiences/solutions to these problems?

Lisette N. de Senerpont Domis
http://www.nioo.knaw.nl/ppages/ldesenerpontdomis
NIOO - Centre for Limnology
Rijksstraatweg 6