Help for ALGAE-L Archives

ALGAE-L Archives

Subject: Parasites of Diatoms
From: Lukas Scharer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 21 Jul 2005 09:52:56 +0200

Dear all,

I am a postdoc at the University of Innsbruck, and we are culturing a
marine diatom (Nitzschia curvilineata) as the food source for a
free-living flatworm (Macrostomum lignano).

We have recently started to have problems with a contaminant, a
thraustochytrid, which has a negative effect on the worms. We would
therefore like to get rid of these creatures, and were wondering if
any of you have experienced similar problems.

Specifically, we would like to know about possible substances to
control thraustochytrid growth, and we would be interested to hear if
there is any evidence that thraustochytrids (or other labyrinthulids)
are associated with marine diatoms.

I am very much looking forward to your help and suggestions,

Best wishes,

Lukas
I am currently looking at worms at:

Lukas Scharer
Division of Ultrastructural Research and Evolutionary Biology
Institute of Zoology and Limnology
University of Innsbruck
Technikerstrasse 25
A-6020 Innsbruck