Subject: Fw: Pre-Medieval Irish Literature
From: Willow Aliento <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 13 Jun 2005 08:26:59 +1000

G'Day, just thought I'd drop in on this discussion....
From my reading, the Celtic (pre-Middle Ages) Irish tales had been kept
ORALLY up until the time of the Venerable Bede (700s AD), who was one of the
first known to write them down in England.  that oral tradition is why it
took a couple of decades to make a filidh.
Irish monks started committing the old tales to writing in the sixth century
AD (time of Bede onwards) according to Dr Patricia King (Celtic Scholar).
Those Irish monks were for some centuries some of Europe's leading scholars
& record keepers.
Cheers
Willow
Mummulgum NSW