Help for OLD-IRISH-L Archives

OLD-IRISH-L Archives

Subject: Re: Old Irish place names
From: "Tarzia, Wade" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 26 May 2005 09:47:29 -0400

>>This may seem like nit-picking, and probably it is, but I'm
>>still perplexed and a teeny bit suspicious that (a) "longphort"
>>never appears overtly associated with ships, moorage, harbours,
>>etc.; and (b) that it used frequently and widely to refer to
>>inland camps, fortresses, stronghold, mansions, etc. etc.

--- Just FYI -- One of my informants in Ballinagh, Co. Cavan (the most aged man in the community, about 95 at that time), called a ringfort on his property a "port."  I had seldom encountered that term in Ireland, usually hearing 'rath' or 'fort' instead.  I take longphort to mean a linear earthwork or dyke...? --Wade