Re: Dligid coire cnáim.

Neil McLeod <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 29 Mar 2005 18:39:26 +0800

I have a problem with stanza 6. The second word in the third line
consists (I suspect) of a contraction I cant transliterate.

This contraction is very indistinct here, but elsewhere in this poem we
find a number of other examples of it.

In those other examples it is very like the standard -us contraction
(which looks like a cursive z; i.e. like the number 3 but descending
below the line). However, our contraction has a minim in front of it so
that it looks more like the letter n with a semi-circular tail curving
back to the left.

This rather limits my ability to translate the end of the third line.
(Senadh siobh presents a number of different possibilities which are
very difficult to choose amongst without being able to decipher the
contraction which precedes them). So I have left most of the third line
untranslated.

Notice that our poet now changes to a stanza of six lines. There are
other examples of this later in the poem.

I treat sadh as a pre-posed genitive.

6. Dergais an t thug
theallach saor ar sadh
tig [contraction] senadh siobh
dANo leabhar a ladh
cara dhlighid du(i)nn
dlighIDh gabha gal.

The one who gave [it] has kindled
a noble hearth for
the house of a sage *** *** ***
moreover a book for discussion
[is] a friend of authoritative guidance to us
[just as] coal is meet for a smith

Neil