Help for ALGAE-L Archives

ALGAE-L Archives

Subject: Caulerpa taxifolia on the east coast of the US?
From: Stephen Schott <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 11 Mar 2005 10:23:30 -0800

Dear All,

I was recently forwarded an email from a colleague
that issued a warning that Caulerpa taxifolia has
adapted to "cold water" and now presents a danger to
seagrass beds on the east coast of the US.  I know
that it had become established in California and has
since been eradicated (presumably).  I have a dual
interest in this possibility as I am a phycologist,
but most of my work focuses around eelgrass (Zostera
marina) restoration in New York.  Has there been any
case(s) of Caulerpa becoming established on the
eastern seaboard that I have missed, or is this just a
case of mild hysteria?  Any light that could be shed
on this would be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,

Steve

Stephen Schott