Help for OLD-IRISH-L Archives

OLD-IRISH-L Archives

Subject: Baile Bricín §40 Verse 5
From: David Stifter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 26 Feb 2005 15:20:36 +0100

Matt & Liz wrote:

> >Tascor 26) mara aidc[h]e mBuilt
> >tidnastar dô ind-Inbiur Suird, 27)
> >bid ór, bid arcad, bud glain,
> >bid fîn mbârc ó Rómânchaib. 28)
> >
>   Since it was followed by nasalization, I thought at first that
> ‘aidc[h]e’ might be the accusative of ‘adaig’ (night). <snip>

That's a difficult passage. Liz's idea of inserting an "i" before
"mBuilt" is clever. Although this gives an 8-syllable line (against
usually 7 syllables in the rest of the poem), this isn't too bad
because for one, one of the i's in "aidchi i" could be elided;
secondly, the following line also has 8 syllables.

>   Matt: “I took 'Built' to be the genitive of 'buille', here meaning
> scourge—the Vikings, I presume...”

No, this can't be, because the genitive should also be "buille".

>    On the other hand, I thought ‘mBuilt’ was probably a placename,
> although I could not find an exact match in the onomasticon.

Did you also look under "Bolt, Boll" and "Bold"? Actually, the rhyme
with "Suird" would require a voiced "d" at the end of "Buil?". But
then, the scribe of E deliberately changed "Suird" to "Suirt" in
order to achieve a rhyme, so maybe this stanza did originally contain
a bad rhyme.

>  Perhaps the fleet was conquered by this person, or perhaps it was
> shipwrecked by bad weather or stranded on an unusually low tide in the
> bay. Are there any historical references to an event like this?

I don't think that we have to translate "tascar mara" necessarily as
"fleet" in the meaning "a great number of ships". If we stay with the
basic meaning of "tascar", we will get "a company across the sea".

>    The first part of ‘ind-Inbiur Suird’ looks like the preposition ‘i’

Yes, I would say so.

> Messe:  I had a different take on this line.  I thought ‘bid’ and
> ‘bud’ probably are the 3rd singular future of the copula

Surely so.

>   Matt: “DIL gives 'fín mbárc' as 'wine-barque'.”

Where exactly did you find this? "fín mbarc" straightforwardly means
"wine of barques" = "wine from barques" = "imported wine".

> Messe:  The phrase ‘fîn mbârc ó Rómânchaib’ is quoted but not
> translated in DIL F 137.23 and the phrase ‘fín bárc’ is again quoted
> in the next line.  Since ‘bárc’ is a ship I would translate the phrase
> as ‘wine ship’ meaning a ship full of wine.  But I can’t explain the
> nasalization on ‘mbárc’ in the source.

The nasalisation is due to the originally neuter gender of "fín".

David