Help for IBN-L Archives

IBN-L Archives

Subject: Re: NTS
From: Dr Graham Saunders <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 22 Feb 2005 16:48:51 -0000

But Mike, it looks like another one of those Hawaiian Honeyeaters has gone!

  WOW!  It seems alot of birds are coming back from supposed extinction these days!  Maybe Genesis was right and evolutionary theory is a load of cack!

  Mike

  Irish Bird Network <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

  <
  <  Mike, Brad, (and apologies to everyone else)
  <      I was wrong about Kakapo. One was seen by a hunter in Fjordland a =
  <  couple of days ago; the DOC took the sighting as serious and are trying =
  <  to trap the bird. My arguments on non-tickable species are looking =
  <  frighteningly flimsy.=20
  <      The Stitchbirds on Tiri will be self-sustaining once the replanted =
  <  indigenous trees mature, and the non-indigenous ones are removed. The =
  <  place is a veritable jungle compared to the bare farmland it was in =
  <  1990! Some Stitchbirds have recently been removed from Tiri for a =
  <  reintroduction on the mainland. =20
  <
  <  Graham
  <    ----- Original Message -----=20
  <    From: Robson, Brad=20
  <    To: [log in to unmask]
  <    Sent: Sunday, February 20, 2005 4:31 PM
  <    Subject: Re: NTS
  <
  <
  <    Hi Mike,
  <
  <    the stitchbirds on Tirtiri aren't self sustaining, or at least weren't =
  <  in
  <    late 2001 and the only truly wild ones are on Little Barrier. There =
  <  are
  <    several, c40?,  Campbell Teal on Codfish which aren't in cages but =
  <  free to
  <    roam with their transmitters in the hope that when Campbell Island is =
  <  free
  <    of ground predators they can be gathered up and taken back. I agree it =
  <  is a
  <    privilege to see such species still alive and in a more or less wild =
  <  state,
  <    the only chance we have of seeing NZ's former avian glory.  Their
  <    conservation problems are enormous, trying to hold onto tiny numbers =
  <  of
  <    individuals whilst we are relatively fortunate to be dealing with =
  <  problems
  <    involving comparatively large numbers of individuals often spread over =
  <  a
  <    large geographical area.  We could hardly begrudge the interventions =
  <  because
  <    it raises questions over a species' tickability.  I suppose it is the
  <    opposite extreme of red kite and golden eagle re-introductions.
  <
  <    brad
  <