Help for IBN-L Archives

IBN-L Archives

Subject: I don't believe in Blockers
From: Eric Dempsey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 17 Feb 2005 11:47:38 +0000

Hi all
have followed this thread with great interest (and at times with great envy). I used to be a believer...I had Elegant Tern...then the Wexford bird and the Kerry bird. My faith in blockers was shattered.

I am sure those elderly gentlemen of Irish birding who saw the Ballina Belted Kingfisher in 1979 also enjoyed that feeling of 'there'll never be another one of these'....until we slightly (only very slightly mind you) younger birders got our chance in Ballyvaughan in 1984....it lasted only five years.

How mad would it be for me to say that I have blockers such as American Coot or Pied Wheatear and think that they will last much longer when Aidan Kelly hasn't seen either...it can only be a matter of time.

Great Auk...now that would be a blocker!
Eric

Sign up for eircom broadband now and get a free two month trial.*
Phone 1850 73 00 73 or visit http://home.eircom.net/broadbandoffer