Help for OLD-IRISH-L Archives

OLD-IRISH-L Archives

OLD-IRISH-L@LISTSERV.HEANET.IE

OLD-IRISH-L Home

OLD-IRISH-L  January 2005

OLD-IRISH-L January 2005

Dublin Brigit Festival 2005 Weaving Our Fates

Dennis King <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 27 Jan 2005 08:52:42 -0800

Mary Condren asked me to post the following, noting "I think
the list would be especially interested in hearing Seán Ó Duinn
whose book on the rites of Brigit (his doctoral thesis) is
coming out shortly.

Brigit Festival 2005: Weaving Our Fate

Sunday, January 30th

You who turned back the streams of war
Whose name invoked stilled monsters in the seas
Whose cross remains a resplendent golden sparkling flame
Come again from the dark bog
And forge us anew. (Anne Kelly)

In the Celtic calendar, February 1st marks the beginning of Spring. This
time is also the festival of Imbolc (ewe milk) *a time when new lambs are
born, and new hearts and spirits prepare to wake to new life. Imbolc is
also
Brigit's Day. Brigit is one of the ancient Celtic figures whose spirit
seeks
to awaken us to new life today.

In the company of women and men * homemakers, craftworkers, students,
healers, storytellers, community activists, poets, therapists, musicians,
artists, writers, theologians, folklorists, and dancers*come help
liberate,
excavate, and celebrate our ancient role-model: Brigit as Goddess, Saint,
Abbess, and Muse.

We will be working together in an integrative and experiential way, using
music, movement, art, story telling, workshops and ritual to explore
Brigit
wisdom traditions

Resource persons will include theologian and musician, Nóirin Ní Ríain;
expert on the pagan, pre-Christian, and Christian rites of Brigit, Fr.
Seán
Ó Duinn (Glenstal Abbey); artist and Brigit folklorist, Meroveé Guerin;
theologian and feminist theorist, Mary Condren.

Time and Date: Sunday January 30th, 2005.  2:00 pm *  10:00pm
Venue:  Kilnamanagh Family Recreation Centre, Kilnamanagh, Dublin 24.
Meals: Tea and coffee will be provided. As part of our sharing we are
asking
participants to bring food and/or drink to share for the party/meal
Sunday
evening.
What to bring: Bring special small pieces of cloth or decorations for
Brídeogs (dolls) *if you wish to make one. Bring green rushes to make
crosses (if you can find them*keep them damp).
Clothing: Wear comfortable loose clothing and shoes for dancing.
Programme: The afternoon sessions will provide information about Brigit,
here rites and traditions. This will be followed by group sharing, the
opportunities to make Brigit’s Crosses, or Brídeogs (Brigit dolls), a
celebration dinner and a final ritual.

Sponsors:  Institute for Feminism and Religion and Kilnamanagh Family
Recreation Centre. IFR Aims: to explore a prophetic approach to feminisms
and religion, inclusive of many traditions and the emerging
consciousness in
Ireland. We do that by providing opportunities for women to reclaim
religion
by engaging theoretically and experientially with the issues of feminist
theology, ethics, spirituality, and ritual.

Directions To Kilnamanagh Family Recreation Centre: (Kilnamanagh is near
Walkinstown, Templeogue, and Greenhills, and Tallaght Town Square).

M50:  Coming from North or South, take the Ballymount/ Cookstown exit.
Follow the signs to the Belgard Road, or Cookstown. You will drive about
half a mile. The new LUAS lines will be on your right. Take a left at the
top (at the dual carriageway) and take the next left (at Potterson
Myson).
Follow the Mayberry Road until after you pass Dunnes Stores. Take another
left and drive about another half a mile until you come to the
Kilnamanagh
Family Recreation Centre on your right.

Coming from Templeogue/Tallaght Bypass: Turn right at the Square,
Tallaght,
and drive about half a mile until you come to Potterson Myson on your
right.
Turn right for Kilnamanagh, and turn left after you pass Dunnes Stores.
Drive another half a mile until you come to the KFRC on the right.

 From Greenhills Road Walkinstown, driving or by bus: If coming by bus,
(50,
77, 77A) get off at the Cuckoo’s Nest public house. KFRC is across the
road.
If driving, take the first right after the Cuckoo’s Nest (second traffic
lights) and take the turn before Dunnes Stores.

LUAS: Take the Green Line and get off at the Kingswood stop. Go through
gap
in wall and turn left into Kilnamanagh. Walk about half a mile, down the
hill, to KFRC on your left.

The Festival of Brigit: Booking Details
Booking Form
Name________________________________________________________________
Address_____________________________________________________________________
Telephone______________Mobile________________ Email_________________

Registration (tick whatever applies to you.)

Basic Fee

Low income
State Benefits/ Students
Supporter’s Fee:
Any help enabling us to continue offering events at low cost is greatly
appreciated.
Meals: Tea and Coffee provided. Please bring cold food and drink to share
for tea break and banquet meal in the evening.
Euro
€25:00
€10:00

Total enclosed:

Cheques: Make cheques payable to Institute for Feminism and Religion.
Registration: Advance booking please! This event is being widely
advertised. To help us prepare adequately for the numbers who are coming,
please book your place by phone or email at any of the following contact
points: KFRC (after 2:00 pm) 4521199; 086-3474478; 2893963; 4163275;
4624504.  Email: [log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]>
Places will not be guaranteed for those who do not register by phone, or
email by January 28th.  Full registration details below.

The event is an integrated experience of spirituality, dance, music,
feasting and ritual. Since it will be difficult to integrate late-comers
the group, participants should aim to come on time and to stay for the
whole
event.