Help for OLD-IRISH-L Archives

OLD-IRISH-L Archives

Subject: Re: ?? accuracy of a quote about the early Irish poetic tradition
From: Dennis King <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 6 Dec 2004 22:29:12 -0800

Hi Greg,

> Maria Tymoczko in her 1994 monograph _The Irish Ulysses_, which
> explores the reading Joyce did in available scholarly work on early
> Irish
> culture and literature at the Zentralbibliothek Z"urich while drafting
> the
> early and middle episodes of _Ulysses_.

You most probably know about Barbara Hillers' work on the medieval
Irish version/adaptation of the Odyssey, "Merugud Uilixis meic Leirtis".
Her bio-blurb at the Harvard Celtic Languages and Literatures site
says her new book on this, _The Medieval Irish Odyssey_, is forthcoming
from Celtic Studies Publications.

http://www.gsas.harvard.edu/programs/degree/celtic.html

>> "The ancient Irish poetic tradition was Milesian Greek, superimposed
>> on the Libyan culture of about 2500 B.C.

Liz and Chris have discussed the first issue.  The Libyan bit probably
stems from the theory of an African (Hamito-Semitic) linguistic
substrate in Ireland/Britain, which has been around in one form or
another at least since John Morris-Jones' appendix to _The Welsh People_
(1900).  The Indo-Europeanist Julius Pokorny further developed the
theory in a major way, and Heinrich Wagner was the third leading
exponent.  The idea has been more recently championed by Theo Venneman
and Orin Gensler.  Despite all the interest, I don't think the Hamito-
Semitic theory has found widespread acceptance.  I can't recall whether
any of these linguistic scholars tied this in with the coastal megalith
culture theories, which I'm in no position to comment on.

Dennis