Help for GAIDHLIG-B Archives

GAIDHLIG-B Archives

Passage for Translation 2 - Part 2a

Colin Mark <[log in to unmask]>

Scottish Gaelic Language beginners forum <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 21 Nov 2004 15:30:28 -0000

I'm afraid I was able to deal only with the first part of the second
sentence. We have only five participants this week.

Though he was now nearing forty, he had never married, and apparently,

Magaidh

Ged a bha e a' dlthaich ris an d fhichead, cha do phs e-----, agus gu
follaiseach, bha e cho toilichte leis an staid aige ri duine sam bith co b'
aithne dha co bha air ceann teaghlaich is taighe.

Ealasaid

Ged a bha e a nis a' tighinn faisg air an d fhichead, cha do phs e riamh,
agus a rir coltais,

Tormod

Raonaidh

Ged a bha e a' fs d fhichead, cha do phs e a-riamh, agus gu soilleir,

Karen

Ged a faisg air an da fhichead, nior pho\s e agus, a re\ir coltais,

Daibhidh Wade

Ged a bha e a-nis dlth air d fhichead, cha robh e riamh air psadh agus, a
rir choltais,

1. ,Though he was now': *Ged a bha e a-nis*

Most participants got this right (though one or two missed out *a-nis*).

The conjunction *ged* ,although' is accompanied by a relative construction
i.e. it is followed by *a* and the appropriate tense. e.g *ged a tha*, *ged
a bha*, *ged a bhiodh*. In the future, however, the relative future form is
required. i.e. *ged a bhios* (or *bhitheas*)

2. 'nearing' There are a few ways to do this, as is shown by the
participants. The best ways (to my mind) are *a' teannadh air* (which the
author used),*a' dlthachadh air / ri* (which Magaidh almost had), *a'
dlthadh air / ri* and *a' tighinn faisg air / a' tighinn dlth air* (which
Ealasaid had). The constructions * bha e a-nis dlth air* and * bha e a-nis
faisg air*, though not precise translations, do convey the required sense.
Karen, unfortunately, missed out the verb. I'm afraid, Raonaidh, that though
you can say *a' fs sean* (growing old) you can't use it in this way.

3. 'forty' As I pointed out in my 'helpful hints', Gaelic uses a definite
article here. i.e. *an d fhichead*

4. 'he never married' or 'he had never married' The simplest way of doing
this is *cha do phs e a-riamh*, and this is what the author has. But *cha
robh e (a-)riamh air psadh * is also possible. I'm afraid, Karen, that nior
is no longer used in Scottish Gaelic.

5. 'and apparently' The easist, and best, way of saying this (and the way
the author did it) is to use *a-rir coltais* which means literally
'according to appearance'.

The expressions * gu follaiseach* and *gu soilleir* could be used, though
they have a more positive ring to them. The term *a-rir coltais* has a the
feeling of 'as far as could be seen' about it.

Original Passage

Ged bha e nis a' teannadh air an d fhichead, cha do phs e riamh, agus a
rir coltais, bha e cho toilichte le staid ri duine sam bith a b'aithne dha
a bh' air ceann tighe is teaghlaich.

Cailean
Cnan ar Cridhe 's ar Gaoil

http://www.gaeldesign.com/colinmark