Help for IRTRAD-L Archives

IRTRAD-L Archives

Subject: Re: Redmond O'Hanlon
From: Paul de Grae <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 11 Oct 2004 17:41:25 +0100

Chris wrote:
>[...] I believe Tommy Makem has a song about O'Hanlon on one of his
>recordings. Whether it
>is McCall's or not, I don't know. I'll check tonight when I get home and
>let you know.

Thanks, Chris, but that's a different song, written by Tommy himself, I
think.  The McCall one begins:

A shepherd that lives on Slieve Gullion came down to the County Tyrone,
And told us how Redmond O'Hanlon wWon't let the rich Saxons alone!
He rides over moorland and mountain, by night, till a stranger is found,
Saying, "Take your own choice to be lodging, right over or under the ground!"

To answer Kate's question--if a rapper is the performer of rap music, a
rapparee must be one of the audience, I suppose?  (Okay, Chris's answer
*is* more correct.)