Help for OLD-IRISH-L Archives

OLD-IRISH-L Archives

Subject: Re: Se(/)tanta
From: Dennis King <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 16 Sep 2004 10:02:40 -0700

Looking through the books I have on hand, I've compiled this
"score card" on the length of the 'e' or 'é' according to
various authorities.

Setanta                Sétanta(e)

LU                     John Strachan
LL                     P. L. Henry
W. J. Watson           Thomas Kinsella
Dáithí Ó hÓgáin
A. & B. Rees

If Se(/)tanta is from *Setantios, "a member of the Setantii",
which is Watson's proposal, can we determine the vowel length
from the etymology of Setantii?  "Portus Setantiorum" in
Ptolemy's Geography is apparently the earliest reference to
that population.