Help for OLD-IRISH-L Archives

OLD-IRISH-L Archives

Subject:Re: Baile Bricín §4.1
From: Dennis King <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 25 Sep 2004 09:26:03 -0700

Hi David,

>>> H:"Maith êm", ol in t-aingel, 8) "bîaid ûair tidnustar la hechtranno
>>> îath fosîlfai cannilbrectaigh nethgig 9) dia tadbustar conni
>>> carutruid fri ligiu leth tairbirthar foiltcinn 10) imm gnúisiu
>>> carotraid fri ligi lethfolmai, ar tinôlfaitis slûaig fri foigge 11)
>>> fungairi.
>
> "Maith ém," ol int aingel,
> "biaid úair tidnastar la hEchtrannu Íath
> fo·sílfae caindelbrechtaig n-éthgig
> dia·tadbastar Conni (?) Caratraid fri Lige Leth
> tairbertair foiltchinn imm gnúisi caratraid fri Lige Lethf*olma,
> ar tinólfaitis slúaig fri Foigge Fungairi."

I see you've capitalized "Íath" etc.  I don't have the
complete text to look (that volume of ZCP has gone missing
from the library), but I gather that the angel has begun
a catalog of the fortunes of various ecclesiastical sites.
Does Meyer, in footnotes or otherwise, specifically identify
the geographical items and their identity?  The "lige leth"
and "ligelethf*olma" were giving me fits, since I was trying
to make sense of them as common nouns!  Caithfidh mé admháil
gur ghlac mé col leis an abairt thuas!!

Dennis