Riverdance sweetness

Varghjärta <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 19 Sep 2004 23:23:54 +0200

DISCLAIMER: In moments of weakness I might revert to using expressions
commonly associated with teens, those who might not like that will read this
at their own risk.

Hey kind and gentle folk of the wild and broad magical land o' piping!

So who here worships Riverdance as much as me? :)

I've always known I'd love Riverdance but never actually seen any live,
until a few days ago! On my birthday of all days (never done anything
special on those days ever), and it was totally sweet, awesome.. and sweet.

Ordered the tickets last year and it was pretty much as cool as I had
imagined(!). I so wish I could afford those thousands of dollars it would
cost to have gone to all of the shows! But hopefully I can get my hands on
the DVD or something soon so I can survive.

Oh man, my joy when I could hear bagpipe sound streaming thru all the mist
of the other instruments, and what with the dancers going like lightning all
over the place and all it was quite overwhelming. Took me a while to locate
where the god (piper) sat (it was a large set!) and after that he was the
one I kept the closest eye on out of all the musicians. I was pretty close
to the stage (not many rows away) so I could see his fingers moving even,
that was cool.

And later on when they put on that cosy looking background and the mist
slowly fading away and the piper sitting there on the chair, and the
narrator telling the part of the 'story' they are at now, and the magical
and awesome Uilleann sound starts humming thru the air, that was seriously
awesome too.

I so wish the Uilleann would have played a lot more. It seemed to me like
the Violin was stealing all the space, I have nothing against violins but it
should have shared more. Seemed to me like the piper wasn't getting the
attention he deserved!

Anyway, there so much to love about the show and all of the different plays.
Like the one with the burning ship in the background and that black man with
that awesome voice singing so extremely loud and dark -- he must be be an
opera-singer or something -- about freedom and all that.

And where those two black new york(?) kids(?) and the three Irish faces of
in a duel of their different styles. Like mocking each other's ways (LOL,man
that was funny) and trying to outdo the other BUT finally of course in the
end they end up dancing together (In a sort of mixed style me think), like a
better to be friends then enemies type of thing.

But out of all the genres (Spanish, Russian etc) I loved the Irish Celtic
vibe the best, it had an easier time going straight to the heart/soul.

Hm. I wish I could tap like those dancers do, but I'll _settle_ for playing
the pipes in a Riverdance show some day! :)
Seems to me like the perfect gig, you get to play in a super-awesome show
while not being the centre of attention staying a wee of side piping away,
but you still get recognition though.

So there, had to tell someone! Best be getting back to bed, coming down with
a fever, probably the riverdancing and air-piping I did on the railing of a
bridge has something to do with it (was quite chilly and windy).

Good night list :).