Help for OLD-IRISH-L Archives

OLD-IRISH-L Archives

Subject: Fw: Re: differences
From: Mona Striewe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 22 Sep 2004 10:15:59 +0200

Dennis wrote:

>There is one not-so-subtle difference that surprised me when I first
encountered it, coming from the modern language to OI as I did. It\'s
this, using Scottish Gaelic for comparison:

Subst. Verb Copula

Tha mi sgth. =3D Am scith.

--- yes, i\'ve come across this recently, and was quite surprised.

looking at your further examples, i have the impression that modern
irish does keep the structure a bit closer to old irish, whereas
scottish gaelic has even invented some new strange things like:

\'s ann sgth a tha mi - well, not such a good example, but still...
i\'m not sure if this construction exists in modern irish?