Help for OLD-IRISH-L Archives

OLD-IRISH-L Archives

Subject:Re: Echtra Nerai IV Aistriúchán Paragraf 16
From: Dennis King <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 5 Aug 2004 10:38:26 -0700

Liz Gabay scríbas:

>> Niba inmain lemm a n-ag
>> géis[s]es isin Crúachanma[i]g,
>> macc Duib Chúailngi conid·saig,
>> maccán in tairb ol Loch Laig.

> I will not be fond of

I'm not sure now what we decided about "niba".  A future
is certainly possible, but the meaning seems a little odd.

> the bullock who bellows in Crúachan's plain,
> and the son of the Dark one of Cúailnge who seeks him,
> the little son of the bull beyond Loch Laig.

I'm also not sure what the final thoughts were regarding
"conid·saig", whether we want to take the infix at face
value and translate as you did, or whether it is one of
those fossilized and meaningless infixed pronouns, so
that we should translate the verb as "that approaches /
that comes looking".

Dennis