Subject: Re: Typographic Taxonomy
From: Joyce Yee <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 3 Aug 2004 09:17:31 +0100

Hi Gunnar,

> I'm curious if you have any preliminary thoughts about what basic
> categories of typographic knowledge might be. Although I haven't
> thought of the implications, I assume that a technological model could
> be one framework for organizing things. I suspect that it may
> ultimately be somewhat unsatisfying. What other approaches seem
> hopeful?
>
> Gunnar

Well, I have a rough framework in mind, where the categories are divided
based on the role and function that typography takes in different
environments (this depends on the purpose and audience of the message).  I
suppose you can roughly divide it into form and function. Micro to macro
view.  Basic to complex. Individual form to complex manipulation of language
through the arrangement, selection and design of type.

You are right in saying that a technological model is one way to organize
the knowledge, but it is not one that I think is appropriate. I feel that it
would biased the knowledge towards the medium of application, and I think
that typography as a subject is finding itself too stuck within a print
framework.  However, in saying that, I acknowledged that the separation of
technology from a subject like typography is impossible. I would like the
technological (the creation and application of type & typography) aspect to
come into the framework at another stage.

I am interested to know though, do you think it is possible to focus on
techological issues without having  a medium biased? (i'm looking
specifically in print and screen medium)

Joyce

======================================
Joyce Yee
New Media Designer / Senior Research Assistant / PhD Research Candidate

The Centre for Design Research
Northumbria University
Squires Building
Sandyford Road