Help for IRTRAD-L Archives

IRTRAD-L Archives

Re: Christy Barry's Set

Paul de Grae <[log in to unmask]>

Irish Traditional Music List <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 3 Jun 2004 17:03:39 +0100

Thomas wrote:
>Peter Laban said that Paul de Grae was doing research to see if Paddy
>Killoran had
>anything to do with composing "The mouse in the mug" as Paddy recorded the
>tune in the 1950's says Peter who lives near Miltown.

Research, is it? Well, yes, if "research" means "bending Kitty Hayes's ear
in Gleeson's pub" (Kitty being Paddy Killoran's sister-in-law), which is
what I try to do on the insufficiently frequent occasions I'm there--most
recently on last Saturday night, but the ambience at the time was far too
merry for any in-depth interrogation of the subject. Actually, I'm sure
that Peter knows rather more of Kitty's views than I do, since he and she
play together quite often, he on his C pipes and she (mainly) on the C row
of her concertina--a lovely sound altogether.