Help for IRTRAD-L Archives

IRTRAD-L Archives

Subject: Re: McMahons/Banshee
From: Phil Sexton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 28 Jun 2004 01:38:14 -0400

On Mon, 2004-06-28 at 01:15, Paul Mulvaney wrote:
> Here in Boston we 1) usually call it McMahon's and 2) nearly always follow
> it with "Navvy on the Shore". They are considered a pair. Common tunes
> because they are great tunes. Er, one question,
> Phil, what does E:7 signify in the abc's for McMahon's/The Banshee? ---P.g.

Goodness, I don't remember as I used a Windows editor to make it,
perhaps abcmus early version or abc2win real early.  I can sight read
ABC easier than dots, so I didn't bother to get the Windows stuff out of
it, so it wasn't standard ABC.

>From the ABC FAQ:
What "header" lines may also occur inside the tune?

The E: K: L: M: P: Q: T: V: W: w: lines may also occur within the tune,
as well as in the header. Some recent software encourages using [...]
around such commands, and they can then be placed anywhere within the
tune, not just at the start of a new line. Thus [K:Gm] may be used to
change the key signature to G minor in the middle of a line. Some abc
software might not recognize this syntax yet.

That's all I know and all it mentions.  Maybe Jim Vint or Henrick Norbic
(I hope I spelled those right) can answer better than I could?

> T:The Navvy on the Shore
> M:4/4
> L:1/8
> R:REEL
> K:G
> |: D G2 | gedB AGAG | ABAG ED G2 | gedB AGAG | AB A2 z D G2 |!
> gedB AGAG | ABAG ED gf | gded BGAG |1 EF G3 :|2 EF G3 z Bd |!
> |: g2 dB GABd | e2 dB GABd | g2 dB GABd | e2 dB A2 Bd |!
> g2 dB GABd | e2 dB GABd | gfgd edBG | AGEF G2 Bd :|

I'll try that tomorrow (today) and see how I can do with it. We in the
band do "Gravel Walk" after.

--
Phil
Our 2nd CD: http://www.cdbaby.com/naomisfancy