Help for OLD-IRISH-L Archives

OLD-IRISH-L Archives

Subject: Re: Echtra Nerai III.29
From: Liz Gabay <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 17 May 2004 15:39:08 +0100

On Mon, 17 May 2004 16:04:01 +0200, David Stifter
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>> >a)   Amail dodechaid iarum in tairbiniu assin sith, adaig*
>> >      loeg bo Aingen, -- .i. Aingeni ainm a mic-sium, adaig
>> >      a tri geiminno as in tairbin.
>> >
>> >a1)  ... asinsid .i. laig bo aingen .i. angene ainm ameicseom ...

 The "three shouts" are clearly plural, so the verb should be in the
plural as well. But I don't think that the shouts are the subject, they
are rather the object. I
>do think that the bull calf is the subject, although with a highly marked
inversion of normal syntax: "V O adverb S". "as" is probably the 3rd sg.
neuter of "a" used as an
>adverb, corresponding to "out" in English "he let OUT three shouts". It
seems that "bull calf" is used in two variants in the  sentence: both as
yo-stem "tairbíne" and as o- stem "tairbín".
<snip>
>"géim" "shout" is a neuter n-stem. "geiminno" is a spelling for
normalised "géimenna", the acc. pl. The "-a" at the end is an analogical
ending, in class. OIr. it would have
>been "géimenn".>>

Thanks, David.  I didn't realize we needed a plural after 'tri.'
 So how does this look?

 Ad·aig a tri géimenna ass in tairbín.
The bullcalf lets out his three bellows.

 Liz Gabay