a fecht

David Stifter <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 7 May 2004 09:05:26 +0200

Sarah Sheehan wrote:

> It's funny, one does wonder what those Vikings (and Irishman) were
> doing in the passage-graves.

Well, I assume, they went for the gold :-) It is also interesting to note the commentary of the annalist who wrote "that
such a thing had never before been done". This may be taken as a piece of evidence that for the Irish themselves the
tombs had a sacred aura that kept them from violating the monuments.

> Your post reminded me of the evidence for
> a Norse presence inside another Neolithic site, Maeshowe in the
> Orkneys. Not so related to Irish, but since we're talking about
> Vikings --

When I visitied Maes Howe a long time ago, I remember to have read the suggestion that the Vikings used the place for
shelter in winter. Maybe they did something similar in Brú na Bóinne?

David