Help for OLD-IRISH-L Archives

OLD-IRISH-L Archives

Re: Where did the 'd' in 'dúirt' come from ?

Jürgen Uhlich <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 19 May 2004 14:25:36 +0100

At 08:09 19/05/2004, David wrote:

The same in the preterite:

>1. as·bert
>2. at·bert
>4. 't·(b)ert
>5. The lenited "b", when still present, coloured the following vowel so
>that it became "ú". The palatalised "rt" is due to
>various analogical restructurings --> 't·(b)úirt --> /du:r't'/ = dúirt
>
>David

I don't think the preterite would have survived long enough to be envolved
in such a development, and I doubt the "colouring power" of -bh- to change
stressed -e- to -ú- (a long one at that!). So seeing as the preterite was
being gradually replaced by the old perfect forms by Middle Irish, I would
prefer the following sequence:

1. OIr. as·rubairt "has said"
2. OIr. at·rubairt "has said it"
3. MidIr. at·rubairt "(has) said"
4. with -ub(h)a- > -ú-, (a)trúirt
5. This should result in ModIr. *drúirt, but somewhere along the way
dissimilation occurred to remove the first -r-, therefore in the end dúirt.

Jürgen

School of Irish
Trinity College
Dublin 2