OLD-IRISH-L May 2004

Cath Maige Rath 7

David Stifter <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 19 May 2004 09:51:53 +0200

Charles wrote:

> >E2: + in neoch docandis na tri sgola gach lae
> >dobig aigi-sim tre geire nindtlechta gach naidche,
>
> E2: a neoch for·chanatis na tri scola cach láe
>  do bíth aice-sium tre gére ninntlechta cach n-aidche
>
>    "all that they would teach of the three schools each day,
>    he would have by keeness of intellect each night"

The emendation "in neoch" > "a neoch" is consistent what we did in CMR 5. It would of course also be possible to
reatin the masculine here, since the neuter was strongly on the decline in MidIr.

> 'docandis' stumped me so I replaced it with a form of 'for·cain' -
> "to teach".

The emendation is not necessary: There is a verb "do·cain" "to recite, chant" in OIr., which makes perfect sense here.
Syncope before the ending of the 3rd pl. imperfect ending "-t(a)is" is regular, so there's no need to emend to
"·chanatis".

If we were restoring an OIr. text, we would probably write "inna téora scola", but since the language here is younger,
"na tri scola" is okay.

> '·biad' is the 3rd singular conditional, while '·bíth' is the 3rd
> singular imperfect of 'attá', both seem possible alternatives to
> '·bid'.

Well, "·biad" would - I think - still be written as such in a young text like the one we are looking at. Furthermore "do·"
comes to replace "ro·" as perfective particle in Middle Irish, so that "do·bíd" makes a "perfect" 3rd sg. imperfect.

"gére" "keenness" stands in the accusative, so that the first "n" of the following word is due to the nasalising mutation.
We should rather write "tre gére n-indtlechta".

> >E1:+ cach ni docluined-sum da m.si na tri scol cach lae
> >dobid do glain mebru aice cach naidche,
>
> E1: cach ní do·cluined-sum dá maic-si na tri scola cach láe
>       do biad do glain mebruguid aice cach n-aidche
>
> "each thing that he heard from the young men of the three schools
> each day  he would have accurate learning of it each night"

Just as you correctly introduced lenition in "do/for·chantais" in E2, we should have a leniting relative clause in
"do·chluined". As I said above, mperfect "do·bíd" is perfect here ("he used to have").

> According to DIL;
>  'do bi do glan mebru cacha n-aidhche' = "he would have by heart
>  each night"

That's correct. But I don't think that the "-u" of "mebru" stands for old "-ugud" like in the modern caighdeán spelling, but
that it is rather the plural (OIr. mebrai) of "mebair" (DIL M 74.31 ff.).

> I thought that 'm.si' might be an abbreviation for 'maic-si'.

Maybe, but the emphatic particle "-si" wouldn't make sense, and we would need the dative plural, something like "do
maccaib". Actually nobody knows what to make of this damaged passage. About 2 or 3 letters are illegible in the MS. I
would simply leave the question open.

Alright, so here's my suggestion for normalisation:

E2: ocus [a/in] neoch do·chantis na tri scola cach lae do·bíd aici-sium tre géire n-indtlechta cach n-aidche,

"and everything the three schools used to recite every day, was with him through the keeness of his intellect every
night,..."

E1: ocus cach ní do·chluined-sum [da m.si] na tri scol cach lae do·bíd do glain mebra aice cach n-aidche,

"and everything he used to hear [from the boys?] of the three schools every day, used to be in plain memory with him
every night..."

David