Subject: Re: Q for type designers
From: Gunnar Swanson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 2 Apr 2004 08:23:49 -0800

On Apr 2, 2004, at 8:01 AM, Michael Brady wrote:
> Gunnar wrote:
>> How do you react when your type designs appear--modified or not--as
>> trademarks? Are there certain sorts of uses that fill you with pride
>> and others that make you resent the designers who seem to be
>> appropriating or destroying your hard work?
[snip]
> Has anyone designed
> just a few letters for a wordmark, and then the client asks for a full
> alphabet? How has that played out? Did you feel thrilled, and then

The flip side of my question might be the feelings of logo designers,
sign painters, etc. who become the "vernacular" source of "inspiration"
for typeface designers. The relationships of existing cultural material
(and its authors) and creation are complex.

Gunnar
----
Gunnar Swanson Design Office
536 South Catalina Street