Subject: Re: Phil Martin
From: Gunnar Swanson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 1 Apr 2004 10:26:05 -0800

Now that Hrant has admitted that he has been pretending to be the
fictional type designer Phil Martin I think it's time for me to admit
to being "Design Maven," the source of so many raves on "Speak Up"
<http://www.underconsideration.com/speakup/>. Our disruption of civil
discourse on graphic design will now end.

We will continue in our roles as Yasser Arafat and Ariel Sharon in our
finest work, the continuing theater piece we call "the news." BTW,
Michael Dooley has also announced that he will continue in his
excellent "George W. Bush" role. Very funny stuff, Mike.

Gunnar

> OK, it looks like this has definitely gone far enough.
> The reasons it started were partly good, and I think the
> point I was trying to make has been made in spades, but
> I think actually losing good listmembers over something
> like this is a bit much.
>
> The "illusion was complete" as villains seem to like to
> say (and certainly Gunnar -with his great illustrations-
> helped this well-meaning deception along quite nicely),
> but timing is my god, and now is the time:
>
> Phil is me. (Or maybe I'm Phil?)
> If you want the exercise you can go back over
> all/both of our messages since "he" signed up
> to Typo-L and you might find yourself smiling.
>
> I'll unsubscribe "him" now, so we can all return to
> what passes for normal on the internet, and hopefully
> Jill, Kent and others will feel sufficiently better to
> reconsider leaving. If you know my "history" on type
> discussion lists I think you'll figure this out today.
>
> Apologies as sincere as I can muster. As you were.
----
Gunnar Swanson Design Office
536 South Catalina Street
Ventura, California 93001-3625 USA