Re: STEP type issue

Miss Tiffany <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 28 Apr 2004 10:46:16 -0600

> Yeah, a paper packet like that might actually get saved when the mag
> is chucked out.

Exactly. Well designed and/or useful paper samples are kept for future
reference. IMO the samples included in magazines only cause annoyance
and make casual reading (or immersive) difficult to do without book
weights to keep the mag open.

> But, how do you feel about the pullquote settings? Personally, I
> think they could work with the negative leading if there were greater
> attention given to the inevitable collisions of asc and desc, _and_
> if the pullquote length were edited down to fewer lines. Same for the
> decks; too many line of small caps is offputting.

Agree. I think they are attempting to do what CRITIQUE did. (CRITIQUE
died because they didn't let just anybody (anybody at all?) buy
advertising space. (I really haven't looked for while).) STEP's use of
small caps is in certain instances (p64) too much of a good thing. In
this instance they should've corrected the quotes/apostrophes and
lowered them some, v. distracting, not to mention the line length they
want you to read. I also agree with your pull-quote remark. The word
spacing seems to be double the line spacing, add that to what you also
mentioned (asc and desc banging into one another) and it starts to be
distracting. Do you remember CRITIQUE? It was informative and
beautiful. I'd have to pull them out again, they in my home library but
I'm pretty sure there was an insane amount of attention to detail. I've
kept all of mine. STEP is one of the better design mags out, but I do
think they are forgetting to pay attention (in a more complete,
finicky, typography sense).