Subject: Re: Piat d'Or
From: Dave Nalle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 20 Apr 2004 10:16:45 -0700

>  > Is this a PC-is-not-a-typewriter kind of foul up?  Or an example
>>  of approved French typography? Possibly the typeface used has its
>>  apostrophes looking like primes, of course.
>Wrote Rodger Whitlock (From Brit. Columbia).
>
>Ok, you can see it there: http://www.piat.co.uk/winery.htm
>
>What I suspect... Never seen this wine in France. Labels might have been
>made in England.
>Otherwise, yes, it's not the first time I see a font coming from the U.-S.
>of A. (or even Britain) with this car. encoded where a proper apos. should
>be...
>Or the designer does not see the difference, uses a Qwerty keyboard with a
>U.-S. OS (op. system) and a U.-S. version of the graphic software, that
>won't substitute the right car. as, for ex., with a Fr. version of the OS
>and, say, a Fr. version of MSWord (or others), using the 4'{ key (hum,
>"normally ", with no Cap or AltGraph on a PC), you get an apos.
>
>It's not even the apos. that is wrong. Spacing is really faulty.
>D' should not have a full em space, and should not be followed by an em
>space.

 From what I could see on the website it looks like it was deliberately
spaced that way to make the name look more balanced within the
space on the label.

In anycase, this whole argument about 'proper' apostrophes is laughable.
What all these so-called expert typographers are calling proper has only
been standard for the last 50 years or so.  Before that fully vertical
apostrophes were not at all uncommon and were not looked at askance.

>Mind you, it could be that these Piat d'Or are sold in France under
>another name...

I did a little research on the wine, and apparently it is a French made wine
which has an enhanced sugar content and is marketed primarily to the UK
where they like such horrible things.

Dave
--

Scriptorium Fonts: http://www.fontcraft.com