Subject: Re: Piat d'Or
From: Jef Tombeur <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 20 Apr 2004 15:56:01 +0200

> Is this a PC-is-not-a-typewriter kind of foul up?  Or an example
> of approved French typography? Possibly the typeface used has its
> apostrophes looking like primes, of course.
Wrote Rodger Whitlock (From Brit. Columbia).

Ok, you can see it there:

What I suspect... Never seen this wine in France. Labels might have been
made in England.
Otherwise, yes, it's not the first time I see a font coming from the U.-S.
of A. (or even Britain) with this car. encoded where a proper apos. should
Or the designer does not see the difference, uses a Qwerty keyboard with a
U.-S. OS (op. system) and a U.-S. version of the graphic software, that
won't substitute the right car. as, for ex., with a Fr. version of the OS
and, say, a Fr. version of MSWord (or others), using the 4'{ key (hum,
"normally ", with no Cap or AltGraph on a PC), you get an apos.

It's not even the apos. that is wrong. Spacing is really faulty.
D' should not have a full em space, and should not be followed by an em

Mind you, it could be that these Piat d'Or are sold in France under
another name...

Jef Tombeur
Paris - France