Subject: Re: Piat d'Or
From: Jef Tombeur <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 20 Apr 2004 15:56:01 +0200

> Is this a PC-is-not-a-typewriter kind of foul up?  Or an example
> of approved French typography? Possibly the typeface used has its
> apostrophes looking like primes, of course.
Wrote Rodger Whitlock (From Brit. Columbia).

Ok, you can see it there: http://www.piat.co.uk/winery.htm

What I suspect... Never seen this wine in France. Labels might have been
made in England.
Otherwise, yes, it's not the first time I see a font coming from the U.-S.
of A. (or even Britain) with this car. encoded where a proper apos. should
be...
Or the designer does not see the difference, uses a Qwerty keyboard with a
U.-S. OS (op. system) and a U.-S. version of the graphic software, that
won't substitute the right car. as, for ex., with a Fr. version of the OS
and, say, a Fr. version of MSWord (or others), using the 4'{ key (hum,
"normally ", with no Cap or AltGraph on a PC), you get an apos.

It's not even the apos. that is wrong. Spacing is really faulty.
D' should not have a full em space, and should not be followed by an em
space.

Mind you, it could be that these Piat d'Or are sold in France under
another name...

Jef Tombeur
Paris - France