Help for OLD-IRISH-L Archives

OLD-IRISH-L Archives

Subject: Re: Echtra Nerai III.2
From: Liz Gabay <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 28 Mar 2004 07:07:41 +0100

On Sat, 27 Mar 2004 10:26:46 -0800, Dennis King scríbas:

>a)  "Eircc ass tra don dun," ol a ben fria Nero,
>     "7 ber cuail connuid lat."

 "Eirc ass trá don dún," ol a ben fri Nerae, "ocus beir cúail chondaid
lat."

   "Go out then to the fort," said his wife to Nera," and carry a bundle
of firewood with you."

  DIL A 5, 71 says that "ass" (which is the preposition 'a' plus 3rd
singular neuter pronoun) is used with verbs of motion.
  I wrote the  dative singular  'dún'  in imitation of 'ón dún' in part 6
line 4 and 'don dún' in part 7, line 4. Is this the o-stem neuter form? It
looked to me from the paradigms that the s-stem form might be 'dúin.'
  I thought 'beir' was the 2d singular imperative of 'beirid' and 'eirc'
was the 2d singular imperative of 'téit.'   Liz Gabay