Help for ALGAE-L Archives

ALGAE-L Archives

Subject: Monostroma bullosum
From: "Charles J. O'Kelly" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 20 Mar 2004 14:34:15 -0500

Folk -

We are looking for live or preserved (preferably dried over silica gel)
material of the freshwater green algal species Monostroma bullosum (Roth,
1806) Thuret, 1854.

Monostroma bullosum is the currently-recognized lectotype species of the
genus Monostroma (Kornmann P, Helgol wiss Meeresunters 11: 13-21, 1964;
Bliding C, Bot Notiser 121: 535-629, 1968).  We have reason to believe that
Monostroma is polyphyletic even after species belonging to Gayralia and
Protomonostroma are removed from the genus (O'Kelly CJ et al., Phycologia
43: 41-49, 2004).  We would like to have specimens of M. bullosum (this
species, so far as we know, does not occur in the Americas) to test this
hypothesis.

If you are able and willing to help us out, please drop Brian Wysor
([log in to unmask]) or myself a note.  Many thanks.

===================

Charles J. O'Kelly
Bigelow Laboratory for Ocean Sciences
P. O. Box 475
180 McKown Point Road
West Boothbay Harbor, ME  04575
  ph. 1 207 633 9600
  fx. 1 207 633 9641
  em. [log in to unmask]
  wb. http://www.bigelow.org/srs/okelly.html

Carpe notionem.

--
This message was sent to you because you are subscribed to ALGAE-L, a listserver list run by [log in to unmask] You can remove your name from the ALGAE-L list by sending a message to [log in to unmask] with the words SIGNOFF ALGAE-L in the text or by accessing http://listserv.heanet.ie. If you have further difficulty please contact the listowner. More information and an archive of messages since 1995 can be found at http://www.seaweed.ie/algae-l