XML-L@LISTSERV.HEANET.IE

XML-L Home

XML-L  February 2004

XML-L February 2004

Group into sets of sumaries

"Doulos Dirawi Co." <[log in to unmask]>

Doulos Dirawi Co.

Sun, 22 Feb 2004 21:16:19 -0000

Hi everyone,
I would appreciate any help on this cause i'm really stuck this time.

I have a set of 38 classes of with books like the following sample:

  <class name="animation" size="40" type="large">
       <book>
          <size>40</size>
       </book>
    </class>

The type can be either large, medium, or large and the @size equals the sum of the sizes of books in the class.

I would like to put those books in a library like the following:

<library>
<bookcase>
<shelf type="small" size="0"></shelf>
<shelf type="medium" size="0"></shelf>
<shelf type="medium" size="0"></shelf>
<shelf type="medium" size="0"></shelf>
<shelf type="large" size="0"></shelf>
<shelf type="large" size="0"></shelf>
</bookcase>
<bookcase>
<shelf type="small" size="0"></shelf>
<shelf type="medium" size="0"></shelf>
<shelf type="medium" size="0"></shelf>
<shelf type="medium" size="0"></shelf>
<shelf type="large" size="0"></shelf>
<shelf type="large" size="0"></shelf>
</bookcase>
<bookcase>
<shelf type="small" size="0"></shelf>
<shelf type="medium" size="0"></shelf>
<shelf type="medium" size="0"></shelf>
<shelf type="medium" size="0"></shelf>
<shelf type="large" size="0"></shelf>
<shelf type="large" size="0"></shelf>
</bookcase>
</library>

Each class have to have the same @type of shelf. ( large books only to large shelves, medium books to large and medium shelves etc etc)

The size of the shelf has to be updated everytime a class is added into the shelf and corresponds to the sum of class sizes [sum(class/@size)]

I guess that after i sort the classes according to the type of class and size, i start putting the classes in the shelves.
all i'll have to do is group together the classes for which the sum of their sizes is less than 600.

To achieve that i check whether the size of the current node + size of next node < 600 if yes then check if the next class could also fit.

If not then put the first two int he shelf and continue with the rest of the classes on a new shelf of the same type though.

How do i write that?

Thanx in advance.

Every time t