Help for ALGAE-L Archives

ALGAE-L Archives

Subject: Re: Equations for chlorophylls
From: Wan Loy Chu <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 18 Dec 2003 09:52:05 +0800

Dear Fellow Phycologists,

We would like to seek your advice on the methods used to  quantify chlorophyll concentrations of algae, particularly the appropriate equations that should be used. There have many papers describing different equations for quantifying chlorophylls.  We have been extracting chlorophylls from algae using acetone, and applying the equations from Strickland and Parsons (1969). However, there have been comments saying that different equations should be used for determining the chl concentrations of the different groups of algae (ie red, green diatoms ..). Apparently, different equations should also be used for marine and freshwater algae.

We understand there was a big project few years ago, trying  to  standardise the methods for quantifying and identifying algal pigments. Are there any papers or books published following the project on algal pigments that we can refer? We would also like to find out details about the methods and equations that you use in quantifying chlorophylls.

Thanking you in advance for your advice.

Merry X'mas and Happy New Year.

Cheers,

Chu

_______________________________
Dr. Chu Wan Loy
International Medical University
Sesama Centre-Plaza Komanwel
Bukit Jalil
57000 Sri Petaling
Kuala Lumpur, MALAYSIA
Ph:   603 - 8656 7228
Fax:  603 - 8656 7229
Website: www.imu.edu.my
_______________________________

"The information transmitted is intended only for
the person or entity to which it is addressed and
may contain confidential and/or privileged material.
Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other
use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon this
information by persons or entities other than the intended
recipient is prohibited.

If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify
us immediately by return e-mail or telephone +603 8656 7228
and destroy the original message without delay."

--
This message was sent to you because you are subscribed to ALGAE-L, a listserver list run by [log in to unmask] You can remove your name from the ALGAE-L list by sending a message to [log in to unmask] with the words SIGNOFF ALGAE-L in the text or by accessing http://listserv.heanet.ie. If you have further difficulty please contact the listowner. More information and an archive of messages since 1995 can be found at http://www.seaweed.ie/algae-l