Help for OLD-IRISH-L Archives

OLD-IRISH-L Archives

Subject: Re: Echtra Nerai
From: Tom Pullman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 2 Dec 2003 17:55:51 +0000

On Tue, 2 Dec 2003, Dennis King wrote:

> a)  Atpert in cimith assin croich fria Nero: "Ferdoi sin, a Nero!"
>                                               {ferrda}
>
> b)  Adbert <  > cimidh isin croich sria Neara: "Ferrda sin,
>      a Neara!" ol se.

At·bert [as·bert] in cimmid isin chroich fri Nerae: "Ferrde sin, á
Nerai!".

The condemned man on the cross said to Nerae: "It's better for that,
Nerae!".

The first verb would historically have been the form in brackets, but it
was used so commonly with the 3sn infixed pronoun that the form with that
pronoun came to be the basic form even when there was an explicit object.

I've added dative lenition to "croich".

I don't know why "fri" has "-ia" in both manuscripts, but I've
standardized it. Maybe it was a third-person masculine form that had been
taken as the base form, as with so many other prepositions - but surely
the 3sm/n form (which is always the one involved in such "reanalyses" -
not that that's what they are, but I can't think of a better term!) was
"fris(s)"?

Tom

--

Tom Pullman			¦
Darwin College			¦	 Whenever I speak Tlingit