Help for GAIDHLIG-B Archives

GAIDHLIG-B Archives

Subject: Re: SMO, "gaidhealtachd archaeology"
From: frank wilson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 21 Nov 2003 19:19:22 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: "Tom Thomson" <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Friday, November 21, 2003 3:07 PM

 Indeed I've just seen Frank's message arguing in effect that
> none of the Highlands is in the Gaidhealtachd now, and if that's
> right they can't be the same!

A chàirdean,
Hod yur wheest !
This discussion brings us right back to square one and back to a time circa
1997 when the argument as to who or what is a Gael was at it's height

The Gaidhlteachd defined as a community of Gaels.

The various points of view could be collectively broken down into 3
attitudes.
What is really the heart of identity?
1. Is it Gaelic language   A bheil Gàidhlig agad?
2. Genealogy                   Cò leis ?
3 Cultural                         Tha féileadh beag agam /Seinn air a
'phìob-mhòr/Théid agad  'Brochan Lom "air a sheinn aig a mhòid./ Teachd an
làthair aig an Annual St.Andrew's Ball.

#1--  I chose the argument that language determines who is a Gael and who is
not.
If you support this argument then the Gaidhlteachd for all practical
purposes has ceased to exist on the mainland.

#2  If you choose the genealogical approach which claims you are a Gael
because of who your  daddy was/is then the Gaidhealteachd continues to
flourish in the Highland and Island of  Scotland and particularly in Glasgow
where there are thousands of people whos parents/grandparents came from the
Highlands.

#3. If you choose the cultural one then the Gaelteachd is mostly in the
Gallteachd!
        It is also the least ethnic/least devisive argument.

All to the strains of my first Gaelic song at the Toronto Mod 30 years ago,
still remembered -sort of   :-0 Hope you like the Manx spelling.

Hok in ho ro yallee, far an ro meen ryer, Hok an ho ro yallee far an ro meen
rye-eye-er
hok and ho ro yallee air nyeenag a chool duin, nyeenag bhoidheach  mhaiseach
tha i fuireach anns a ghlinne,

The Lowby Dozer

Want to signoff for a while?
Send command SIGNOFF GAIDHLIG-B to [log in to unmask]