Help for GAIDHLIG-B Archives

Subject: Re: SMO, "gaidhealtachd archaeology"
From: frank wilson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 21 Nov 2003 19:19:22 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: "Tom Thomson" <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Friday, November 21, 2003 3:07 PM

 Indeed I've just seen Frank's message arguing in effect that
> none of the Highlands is in the Gaidhealtachd now, and if that's
> right they can't be the same!

A chàirdean,
Hod yur wheest !
This discussion brings us right back to square one and back to a time circa
1997 when the argument as to who or what is a Gael was at it's height

The Gaidhlteachd defined as a community of Gaels.

The various points of view could be collectively broken down into 3
What is really the heart of identity?
1. Is it Gaelic language   A bheil Gàidhlig agad?
2. Genealogy                   Cò leis ?
3 Cultural                         Tha féileadh beag agam /Seinn air a
'phìob-mhòr/Théid agad  'Brochan Lom "air a sheinn aig a mhòid./ Teachd an
làthair aig an Annual St.Andrew's Ball.

#1--  I chose the argument that language determines who is a Gael and who is
If you support this argument then the Gaidhlteachd for all practical
purposes has ceased to exist on the mainland.

#2  If you choose the genealogical approach which claims you are a Gael
because of who your  daddy was/is then the Gaidhealteachd continues to
flourish in the Highland and Island of  Scotland and particularly in Glasgow
where there are thousands of people whos parents/grandparents came from the

#3. If you choose the cultural one then the Gaelteachd is mostly in the
        It is also the least ethnic/least devisive argument.

All to the strains of my first Gaelic song at the Toronto Mod 30 years ago,
still remembered -sort of   :-0 Hope you like the Manx spelling.

Hok in ho ro yallee, far an ro meen ryer, Hok an ho ro yallee far an ro meen
hok and ho ro yallee air nyeenag a chool duin, nyeenag bhoidheach  mhaiseach
tha i fuireach anns a ghlinne,

The Lowby Dozer

Want to signoff for a while?
Send command SIGNOFF GAIDHLIG-B to [log in to unmask]